|Epithet||doctor and physician|
|History||Henry Willingham Gell was the third son of Reverend John Philip and Eleanor Isabella Gell. He was the grandson of Sir John Franklin, the Arctic explorer, and great-grandson of Willingham Franklin. Henry was educated at Balliol College, Oxford, matriculating on 21 April 1877 and earning his B.A. in 1880. After taking his degree, he entered St Bartholomoew's Hospital, London, qualifying as a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1885. He set up what became a large practice in the West End of London, living in Hyde Park Square. In his earlier years he took a prominent part inthe National Health Society, becoming a lecturer and examiner. He was Vice-Chairman of the Paddington Board of Guardians and served for many years on the Metroplitan Asylums Board, presiding on many of its committees, including on the Ambulance Committee, where he took an active role in the establishment of the first motor ambulance service for the metropolis. After his retirement he went to live at Woolhampton Court, Berkshire. During World War II he gave voluntary service to the Reading War Hospital, for which he received the OBE.|
|Relationships||Thrid son and fifth child of Reverend John Philip and Eleanor Isabella Gell; grandson of Sir John Franklin, Arctic explorer; married Edith Georgiana Banks Bradshaw on 19 July 1893 at Christ Church, Paddington. They had two children, Philip Victor Willingham Gell (1897-1970) and Honor Elizabeth Frankling Gell (1900-1907).|
|Key Events||Born in Kensington, London 15 Oct 1856; died at Church Aston Manor, Newport, Shropshire, 14 Sep 1942, and buried at Woolhampton, Berkshire on 17 Sep 1942. |
|Source||Obituary in the British Medical Journal, 7 Nov 1942 (sourced online)|
|Authorised Form of Name||Gell; Henry Willingham (1856-1942); doctor and physician|
Show related Catalog records.