Browse this collectionThis entry describes an archive collection. Click here to see an overview of the whole collection
Archive Reference / Library Class No.D8035
TitleJohn Cox, John Edric Cox and John William Cox of Twyford, blacksmiths
Extent0.5 box
RepositoryDerbyshire Record Office
Full Catalogue ListClick here to view a full list for this collection
Archive CreatorJohn Cox, John Edric Cox and John William Cox of Twyford, blacksmiths
Administrative HistoryThese records derive from the work of three men, all of whom were called John Cox. The first of these was a John Cox who was born c1836 and died in 1933. John Cox did not know his place of birth and variously gave it as Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire. The 1861 census shows an unmarried blacksmith named John Cox, born in approximately 1836 and living in Barrow on Trent, who had been born in Thurlby, Lincolnshire. By 1871, Cox and his wife Sarah were living in Newton Solney. They had moved to Twyford by the time of the 1881 census, and he is recorded as the only blacksmith in Twyford in Kelly's Directories from 1881 to 1906. The 1911 census records that John Cox was living in retirement at Field View in Smalley, and that he Sarah had had 11 children, one of whom had died. Census records in combination with the General Register Office indexes show that the child who died was Alice Eliza Cox (1871-1872). John Cox died on 16 January 1933, and his will, proved in London, left an estate valued at £775 to his son Herbert and to Charles Meakin, a farmer.

The 1911 census finds his son John Edric Cox (1877-1917) living in Twyford and described as a farmer, although he is described as a farmer and blacksmith in the 1912 Kelly's Directory. A change in handwriting in the series of day books suggests that the business was handed over from John Cox senior to John Edric Cox towards the end of 1906.

John Edric Cox's brother Herbert Cox, also a blacksmith, appears on the 1901 census at Derby Road in Smalley. Herbert's son John William Cox (1892-1974) is named as the only blacksmith in Twyford in Kelly's Directories from 1925 to 1941, suggesting that the same business was handed over from father, to son to great-nephew. The address is shown on the 1939 register as Smithy Farm, Twyford.
Custodial HistoryThese records were donated to Derbyshire Record Office by the parish of Twyford in October 2016.
ArrangementD8035/1 Day Books
D8035/2 Invoices and Receipts
D8035/3 Photographs
Organisation Sub-TypeBlacksmiths, metalworkers, ironmongers
Archivist NoteCatalogued October 2016, MPS.

Show related Persons records.

Related Names
Name (click for further details)
Cox; Family; Twyford
Place (click for further details)Type
Add to My Items