Ref NoD5657
TitleDerbyshire Constabulary
Date1977
CreatorDerbyshire Constabulary
Organsation TypeOfficial Bodies - Justice, Law and Order
Organsation Sub-TypePolice
Finding AidsTo see a full list for this collection, click the link below
URLhttp://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/calmview/overview.aspx?src=calmview.catalog&q=refno:D5657*
Administrative HistoryThe Derbyshire Constabulary was established on 17 March 1857 and was originally controlled by the Justices of the Peace at Quarter Sessions. As a result of the Local Government Act 1888, control passed to a standing joint committee consisting of 18 members, half appointed by Quarter Sessions and half by the newly-established County Council. Its headquarters were first based at Belper, but then transferred to Derby until the move to the present site at Butterley Hall, Ripley

The new headquarters of the Derbyshire Constabulary at Butterley Hall in Ripley were formally opened by HM Queen Elizabeth II in 1977 and housed four departments dealing with the Police Force's overall administration.
Custodial HistoryThe item was acquired by a member of staff at Butterley Hall Police headquarters and was donated to the Record Office in February 2002
Related MaterialFor Police records formerly at the Police Museum at County Police Headquarters, Butterley Hall, c1838-1984, see D3376. For County Standing Joint Police Committee minutes 1889-1974, see D919
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021