|Description||John Hall & Son were stone merchants and quarry owners at Rowsley, Stanton and Birchover. They became a limited company on 10 December 1924. Their registerted office was at the town hall, Bakewell.|
The first meeting of the limited company was held at held two days later at the Station Hotel.
Messrs. Webster & Co. help prevent John Hall & Son from amalgamating with Messrs. Akeroyd in 1925. However the board of directors of John Hall & Son denied that they had "... been saved from an amalgamation with a Company whose finamcial position was not sound".The board felt that they would have been beneficial to the company.
Subesquently the solicitors, Messrs. Webster & Co. of Sheffield, sued Messrs. John Hall & Son (Rowsley) Ltd. for £82 6s 8d for professional services and money expended.
In the meanwhile, Messrs. Devereux Hall and Gilbert Moore Wilson retired from the board in 1925. However, at a meeting on 16 December 1926, the opinion was voiced that all shares in the company belonged to Mr. Devereux Hall.
Mr. Rowley resigned his seat on the board in March 1927. It was later decided that the transfer of Mr. Rowley's shares to Mr. Hall would constitute a violation of the terms of the agreement entered into between Mr. Hall and the company on 15 September 1925. Then on 20 September 1927, 5000 shares were transfered from Mr. J. E. Rowley to Mr. Devereux Hall. The decision was taken in March 1927 to issue debentures for £2000 in exchange for a guarentee on the company's overdraft up to £2000.
In May 1927, Mr. Deveurex Hall requested that his daughter, Mrs. E. A. Willgoose, should be appointed a director of the company. However Mrs. Willgoose's application had been turned down previously as the directors felt that "... the company was not a suitable one for ladies to be members of the Board."
The Derbyshire Gritstone Quarry Owners Association was a subsiduary of John Hall & Son (Rowsley) Ltd.