|Description||Great Longstone Hall was built in 1747 and is one of the more attractive of the smaller country houses in Derbyshire. It was the home of thw Wright family. [http://www.derbyshireuk.net/greatlongstone.html]|
The Wright family have been possessed of the principal part of the landed property of this township, ever since the reign of Edward III. The family of Rouland or Roland had a house and lands at Great Longesdon in the fourteenth century, which passed by marriage to the Staffords of Eyam.
In 1282, the minister of Longstone chapel was supported jointly by the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield and the inhabitants. Rowland Eyre, Esq., in 1628 gave a rent charge of 1 pound per annum, to this chapel. The vicar of Bakewell appointed the minister. The sum of 5 pounds per annum for the education of 10 poor children in this chapelry, given by Wiliam Wright, Esq., in 1656, was payable out of the Longstone Hall estate. A school house was built by subscription. Under the enclosure act, common land of the value of 10 pounds per annum were allotted to this school. [http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Longstone/Lysons.html]