Ref NoD504/159
TitleBakewell & District War Memorial Cottage Hospital
Date1891-1946
DescriptionPlans for the Bakewell & District Memorial Cottage Hospital were first proposed in 1891 by the late Archdeacon Balston. The idea was revived in 1907 when a Committee was formed for the purpose of organising a systematic annual collections in aid of the Hospitals to which Bakewell patients were sent and in aid of the Nurse Fund.

In November 1918 a public meeting was held at Bakewell Town Hall at which it was resolved to take steps to provide a Cottage Hospital for Bakewell and District as a memorial of the Great War. It was agreed that at least £10,000 would be required for the purpose. By a public meeting held on 19 November 1919, the promised contributions fell so far short of the estimated cost that a small Executive Committee replaced the existing committee, with Rev E Spink, Vicar of Bakewell as Chairman. The Demobelisation Committee then judged the project suitable for a £4000 grant.

An eventual sum of £5000 was invested in Government Securities in 1919. Thus it was decided to erect a Cottage Hospital in Bakewell as a War Memorial. A site of ½ acre, donated by the Duke of Rutland and formerly occupied by a Dr. Fentem, adjoining Butts Road was chosen. The Duke also agreed to sell an adjoining field at £200 an acre.

The Foundation Stones were laid on 7 August 1920. At a meeting held on 19 November 1921, Messrs William Deacons Bank Ltd were appointed Trustees. The first AGM was held on 28 March 1922. The hospital was opened by His Grace the Duke of Devonshire on 6th August 1922.

Herbert Clifford Brook Taylor was heavily involved in the adminsitration of Hospital during the course of its lifetime. The Brooke Taylor Memorial Ward was opened by Edward Lascelles Hoyle Esq. on 25th April 1925.

Mr. Hoyle was Honourary Secretary of the Hospital from 1919 to 1923. He then became Chairman in 1923 until 1938. The Hoyle Wing was opened by His Grace the Duke of Devonshire on 7th December 1933.

The Hospital closed in 1946 after the foundation of the Bakewell & District 1914/18 Memorial Charity. The building then became part of the National Health Service.
Related MaterialFor secretarial files of the Bakewell & District War Memorial Cottage Hospital, see D4557
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021