Ref NoD504/143
TitleRecords of Lady Manners School, Bakewell, Derbyshire
Date1894-1948
DescriptionAdministrative records of Lady Manners School, Bakewell, including copy letter books, ledgers, salary returns, cash books and records of fees.
Administrative HistoryThe earliest provision for educational purposes within the parish of Bakewell was a rent-charge of £15 issuing out of land at Elton, left by Lady Grace Manners in 1637. For this the Master taught gratuitously, boys belonging to Bakewell and Great Rowsley, reading, writing and classics. The school was held in various buildings in Bakewell, including the Town Hall for a considerable period.

The charity was remodelled by the Charity Commissioners and a scheme for a new school propounded, to be known as 'Lady Manners School', which received Royal Assent in 1894. The building was erected in 1895 and the new, mixed school opened in 1896. Additional funding was provided by the County Council and Board of Education. The school was manged by a Board of Governors, an elected body including nominees of the Duke of Rutland, the Local Board, the Vicar and Churchwardens and the County Council.
Related MaterialFor a printed account of the history of Lady Manners' School, see D5215/5/2.
For accounts of payments made by the Stancliffe Estates Co. Ltd. for the upkeep of Lady Manners' School, 1934-1948, see D504/129/2.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021