Ref NoD3732
TitleSt Christopher's Railway Home, [Railway Servants Orphanage], Derby
Date1874-1992
CreatorSt Christopher's Railway Home, Derby, 1948-1993
Railway Servants' Orphanage, Derby, 1875-1948
Organsation TypeOrganisations - Charities and Assistance
Organsation Sub-TypeHealth and welfare charities
DescriptionD3732/1-7 Minutes
D3732/8 Annual reports
D3732/9 Constitution and early development
D3732/10 Later development and closure
D3732/11 Correspondence
D3732/12-29 Finance
D3732/30 Legacies
D3732/31 Documents relating to title
D3732/32 Lists of deeds
D3732/33 Estate
D3732/34-40 Site and buildings
D3732/41-42 Insurances
D3732/43-44 Management of Orphanage
D3732/45-58 Children's records
D3732/69 Old Pupils' Association
D3732/70-75 Miscellaneous
Extent34 boxes, 2 oversized items
Finding AidsTo see a full list for this collection, click the link below
URLhttp://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/calmview/overview.aspx?src=calmview.catalog&q=refno:D3732*
www.derbyshire.gov.uk/working-for-us/data/gdpr/privacy-notices/community-services/data-subjects/data-subjects-in-archives.aspx
Administrative HistorySt Christopher's Railway Home was established in January 1875 as the Railway Servants' Orphanage. It was intended for the children of railway workers who had lost their lives in the performance of their duty, but from 1881 the children of railway workers who had died of natural causes were accepted and from 1927 those whose mothers had died and were incapacitated. Children whose health was poor were not admitted but were granted allowances for their maintenance at home or at a special school. A railway orphanage at Woking cared for children from the south of the country.

The first orphanage was a rented house in London Road, Derby and housed 11 children at its opening. In 1877 a house and gardens in Ashbourne Road, Derby was purchased, altered and extended and further land purchased in order to accommodate 36 children. In 1880 a boys' wing was added, then domestic buildings and a sanatorium. Further land purchases increased the site to over five acres. As completed by 1887, the buildings were able to accommodate 300 children.

In May 1881 the orphanage amalgamated with the Railway Benevolent Institution founded in 1858 to help railway staff and their families in time of need. The Railway Servants' Orphanage was renamed St Christopher's Railway Home in 1948.

At the outbreak of the Second World War, the whole orphanage was evacuated to Pilsley, but this proved inappropriate, and 60 Senior boys were relocated to Park Lodge at Fritchley in early November 1939. By April 1940, the remainder of the children had relocated to Foston Hall. Several boys who attended Derby School were evacuated with their classmates to Ashover.

Numbers at the Orphanage dropped significantly after the Second World War and the old building was demolished to make way for two smaller houses, opened in 1977. By 1982, one of these was adequate for the children cared for at the Home and the other was adapted for use as a home for the elderly from 1983. By the time it was finally closed in 1993, there were no longer any children at St Christopher's and only six elderly residents.
Custodial HistoryThese records were donated to the Record Office in May 1993.
Access ConditionsAccess restrictions apply to some records in this collection under the Data Protection Act. Please consult the catalogue and contact us for further information. See Data subjects in archives privacy notice, second link below.
RelatedRecordD3849
Places
Click below to see other records for this place
Derby/Derby/Morleston and Litchurch/Derbyshire/United Kingdom
Foston/Foston/Appletree/Derbyshire/United Kingdom
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021