|Administrative History||The National Coal Board (NCB) was created in 1947 to manage and operate 980 collieries across the country. In addition to the national head quarters and departments which, there were originally eight divisions, with Derbyshire collieries being in the East Midlands Division (along with those of Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire). The East Midlands Divisions were divided into 7 areas. In 1967 the number of collieries nationally had dropped to 320, and the divisions were eliminated, with the collieries being reorganised into 18 areas, including the North Derbyshire Area. |
From around May 1986, the organisation became known as British Coal, and in 1987, the name wasofficially changed to the British Coal Corporation (BCC). In 1988, operating only 94 collieries, the British Coal Corporation was reorganised to include 9 georgraphical areas, with Derbyshire being put in in Central Area. In 1990, the areas became groups, with Derbyshire, therefore, being in the Central Group. In 1993/4, with only 53 collieries operating nationally, the number of groups was reduced to 6, with Derbyshire being put in in the Midlands & Wales Group. As the number of collieries was reduced even further over the next few years, the British Coal Coproratoin was formally wound up in 2004.
|Custodial History||The archive was transferred to Derbyshire Record Office in 42 deposits between August 1966 and March 1995. Other former National Coal Board records have indirectly come to the Derbyshire Record Office between May 1972 and September 2008.|