Ref NoD5395/22
TitlePhilip M Robinson (1882-1978) personal papers
Administrative HistoryPhilip Moffat Robinson was the youngest son of Charles Portland Robinson and Eliza Slack, brought up in Goldwell House, Chesterfield. He was educated at Chesterfield Grammar and School and the Moravian Institution at Neuwied in Germany before joining the family firm in 1900. In 1912 he married Edith Marian Rollin with whom he had a son and two daughters. The family lived in Park Hall, Walton and, after 1939, at Rye Flatt, off Chatsworth Road in Chesterfield.
Philip specialised in the printing side of the firm's work and became Managing Director of the Box Works in 1913. In 1926 he designed, had built and ran the Portland Works building. His concern for the welfare of workers led to the building of Bradbury Hall next to the old family home, Field House, on Chatsworth Road where a variety of social activities took place. He became Vice-Chairman of the firm in 1952 and retired in 1954.

He served on Chesterfield Borough Council from 1920 to 1949, was Mayor in 1928-1929 and became an Alderman in 1931. He was particularly active as Chairman of Chesterfield Transport Committee, overseeing various changes to the tram system. He also served as Chairman of Chesterfield and Bolsover Water Board and was a magistrate from 1932 to 1949.

An active member of Brampton Congregational Church, he was Chairman of Derbyshire Congregational Union in 1933 and President of National Brotherhood Movement in 1943. He was actively involved with the Boys Brigade and Sunday School at Brampton Congregational Church, but his interests spread throughout the town. The papers reflect his constant development of religious thought and its practical application in everyday life.

Philip served as Chairman of the British Paper Box Federation, was on the Chesterfield Development Committee and was a founder member of Chesterfield Rotary Club.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021