Ref NoD3661
TitleChesterfield Grammar School
Date1846-1991
Administrative HistoryChesterfield Grammar School originated in the late sixteenth century. The will of Godfrey Foljambe of Walton provided an endowment for a schoolteacher in 1594, and the 1598 borough charter of Incorporation empowered the Alderman to build a school. It was originally housed in St Helen's Chapel, but was completely rebuilt on the same site in 1845. In 1947, the school changed its name simply to Chesterfield School It moved to new premises at Brookside in 1967. The school remained single sex until its closure, as part of the general reorganisation of secondary education in Chesterfield, in July 1991. It was amalgamated with St Helena's Girls' School (see D3542) and the Manor School (see D3544) and re-opened in September 1991 as the Brookfield Community School.
Custodial HistoryThe records were deposited at Derbyshire Record Office in October 1991, October 1992, January, May and December 1993, November 1997, September 1998 and March 2019.
CreatorChesterfield Grammar School
FindingAidsFor a full list relating to this collection, click the link below
URLhttp://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/calmview/overview.aspx?src=calmview.catalog&q=refno:D3661*
Organisation TypeOfficial bodies - Education
Sub-GroupSchools
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020