|Description||These papers relate chiefly to Robert Arkwright (1783-1859) of Sutton Scarsdale, second son of Sir Richard Arkwright (1732-1792), and his descendants. He married Frances Crawford Kemble, daughter of Stephen G Kemble, of the theatrical family, and they had four sons, George, William, Godfrey Harry, and Eustace and one daughter, Fanny Elizabeth.|
Godfrey Harry Arkwright (1814-1866) lived at Sutton Scarsdale, took Holy Orders, and married firstly in 1844 Frances Rafela Fitzherbert and secondly in 1862 Marian HA Pellew. By his first marriage he had two sons, Francis and William. Henry (later also a clergyman), and one daughter, Frances Alice, and by his second marriage two sons Godfrey Edward and Walter, and a daughter, Marian.
These papers include material on the personal and literary interests of Mrs Frances Crawford Arkwright and on personal and family matters concerning the Revd Godfrey Harry Arkwright, his son Revd William Henry Arkwright, (1848-1915), and the latter's sons, Bertram and Edward. They also include a group of letters, 1878-1905, from Randall T Davidson, Archbishop of Canterbury.
|Administrative History||Sutton Scarsdale Hall was built 1724-29 by architect Francis Smith for Nicholas Leke, 4th Earl of Scarsdale, and was known for its interior craftsmanship. After the 4th Earl's death in 1740, Godfrey Clarke MP bought the estate. By 1744 the ownership had passed to Walter Butler, 1st Marquess of Ormonde. Upon Butler's death in 1824, Richard Arkwright Junior bought the estate and passed it to his second son Robert. Then it was inherited by Robert Arkwright's son Reverend Godfrey Harry Arkwright in 1859 after his father's death. In 1866 Godfrey died and passed the Hall onto his son Francis Arkwright. Francis married Louisa Milbank in 1868 and had one daughter together. After Louisa's death in 1873 he married Evelyn, daughter of William, 3rd Viscount of Sidmouth, but had no children together. From 1874-1880 Francis was a Member of Parliament. In 1882 Francis immigrated to New Zealand and left Sutton Scarsdale Hall in the care of his cousin William Arkwright. Francis died in 1915 and William inherited the property as Francis had no male heir. In 1919 William auctioned Sutton Scarsdale Hall and its estate and was bought by local businessmen. These businessmen stripped the house, removing its roof in 1920 and shipping parts of it to America including the oak panelling. In 1946 Sir Osbert Sitwell of Renishaw Hall bought the estate to preserve the shell of the house as a ruin. English Heritage now run the Sutton Scarsdale Hall. |
|Custodial History||These papers were deposited in the Record Office in 1971.|