| Description | mining equipment photographs These photographs are stored in folders stamped Commercial and Technical Photographs by Hurst & Wallis Ltd of Derby and Burton on Trent. Each folder has handwritten notes on the outside and, in two cases, the folder also has an index marker. Each folder has been catalogued separately but the photographs in each folder have been subnumbered sequentially for the whole collection. Many of the photographs are stamped 'Bennett & Sayer, Ltd Derby, England, Engineers' and some of the equipment in the photographs was made by Bennett & Sayer. |
| Administrative History | Bennett and Sayer was founded in 1875 by Richard Bennett (1847-1885), active in a number of brick-making businesses, and William Sayer (c1853-1918), an engineer. An undated letterhead describes the business as Engineers, Ironfounders and General Millwrights. An advertisement in Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire 1895 locates the head office at the Slack Lane Brickworks, Derby. Bennett & Sayer went into voluntary liquidation in 1990. |
| Custodial History | These items were donated to Derbyshire Record Office in July 2002 |